Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How About a Hobby?


Hope everyone had a happy fourth! Between my move and everything else being in flux, I decided to take it easy by the pool. It was perfect. Now, I’ve got a few weeks to settle into my new place and get some serious writing done.

Maybe I’m inspired by new neighborhood, or perhaps it’s because I have a few weeks of downtime, but I’ve been looking for a new hobby! I never learned to play an instrument, and I can’t draw to save my life – so those things are out (sidenote: I really want to learn to play guitar, but it’s already on my 2011 goals list… although I think a lot of those goals are going to be re-examined as a result of the past two months. Another entry, perhaps?)

Anyway – I thought a lot about how much I enjoyed making clothes and accessories when I was younger and was hoping there might be something in that. As far as I know, my old sewing machine is still at my parents’ house, and it might be kind of nice to re-teach myself to make simple things like skirts, dresses, etc. I also really loved making jewelry. When my brother and I were younger (and I’m talkin 10 here), I somehow convinced my brother to start a jewelry making business with me. We would take orders, ask people what their favorite colors / hobbies were and then “design” necklaces and bracelets. It was basic beadwork, but it was a lot of fun. I looked into some basic jewelry making classes so I can graduate from ceramic beads to wire bending and metalwork. It’d just be nice to have something fun to do that feels creative and isn’t just writing. You know?

What are some of your creative outlets and hobbies?

No comments:

Post a Comment